PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the new JJ ECC803S' in their ULs?

Grendel
05-15-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm ordering one from Doug's tubes for the first slot, I hear they are comparable to NOS tubes in their build quality.
Any one try a complete retube of their UL with these suckers? Would anyone reccommend them over the Shuguang 9th gens I have in their now?

rbone100
05-15-2005, 07:37 PM
When I ordered my power tubes from Doug I also got a few JJ preamps. I don't remember which ones I got but they sure do sound good!

Ralphie

Giga
05-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm ordering one from Doug's tubes for the first slot, I hear they are comparable to NOS tubes in their build quality.
Any one try a complete retube of their UL with these suckers? Would anyone reccommend them over the Shuguang 9th gens I have in their now?

I've tried them and went back to JJ's; they seem to have a bit more mids which I like for the yellow and the red channel. The clean channel was better with the 803 though.

Giga.

Pittbull
06-11-2005, 04:43 PM
I have tried the 9th generations and in the 12at7 slot I put a Electro harmonix and it sounds a little smoother to me and has a little more gain for ch.2 and 3. The clean sounded brittle and coldOn the other hand it sounds way thinner to me than the rubies and lost its thickness and bark. I also remeber trying jj's and it made the clean sound a lot more pleasant to my ears. It sounded warmer bigger and a little more vintage, but did not work for me in the high gain settings for rythm. I am talking about heavy high gain sounds, but for those jsut usong a good crunch it would probaly work. The EH's sounded thinner to me also to my knowledge. I have tried so many times changing preamp tubes and for those that need a good clean and want to play heavy music and a very usable lead I reccomend sticking with the rubies that Vht now uses. I just recently spent hours doing this for the second time since I owned my UL and back to the rubies. I am running my amp the a ubercab.