PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trading the UL for a 50CL

cancelthesound
04-26-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm thinking about selling my VHT UL and going back to the 50CL. I really like the two channels on the 50CL and I like the sounds you can get with the tube rectifier. Should I look into the 100CL (can you get it with the tube rectifier and class a option)? or maybe a CLX? Am I crazy?

The UL is sounding a little thin lately.

Grendel
04-27-2005, 01:31 AM
Haha, I agree with you man, the CL is thicker.

cancelthesound
04-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Haha, I agree with you man, the CL is thicker and more "present" in the mix. And it has such an awesome chunk and tone, and it's nice and warm. I've been experimenting with my 100CL vs. UL, and I think the UL pushes more air, and that's about it! Honestly to me, the UL sounds like a lesser version of the CL/CLX, and that's without the tube rectifier. I'm actually wanting to do the same as you, trade or sell my UL for a CLX.

Yeah I hear what you are saying the UL definitely has a slightly faster response and it's a little more articulate but at the moment but I'm missing the sounds of the 50CL I had. I'm just wondering if a 100CL would be a little tighter sounding (than the 50CL) with some extra bass. I really like the pushed clean tone you can get out of the 50CL as well, and the tube rectifier is great. It has this really glassy tone without sounding brittle. The UL is great but the 50CL is just different.

Grendel
04-27-2005, 09:24 PM
I'd say at full power my 100CL sounds more immense, and does have a little more punch, and cuts through in a band situation better. That said, I only use full power when playing live with drums, on recording and at low volumes I run it at half, and I get very good bass with the graphic set right, and I also think it is very tight. The UL is a little tighter and had a tad faster response, but I think the tradeoff for the thickness, warmth, and that chunk is worth it, and the CL still has very fast response. I use my CL's red channel for metal rythm, that's what I dial in amps for BTW.
I may keep the UL for live use I haven't played with drums/bass yet with the UL, only recorded, and it's nice to have something a little different), but I'd really like to have a CL with a dedicated clean that isn't pushed, though I suppose it isn't a big deal since I use fx on it anyway. I haven't decided to keep the UL yet or trade it for a CLX, but it is mighty tempting.

tubebury
04-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Amp whores!!!! ;)

I just sold my VHT UL for the same reasons: Once I got over the honeymoon of the immense power, low end and third channel of the UL, I began to miss the 50/CL that I still have (thank Allah!!!) !!!

I found that after a while, the UL was a bit sterile unless I was playing total balls-to-the-walls stuff. It'll cover a lot more than that, I know - but, that's what it does best....

While the CL has only two channels, it still has more character....

Now go ahead and flame me, UL lovers!!! ;)

Brian

Grendel
04-28-2005, 12:38 AM
HAHA! Oh no man, not you too!

Damn, I'm a fickle bastard.

Grendel
04-29-2005, 12:38 AM
After listening some more to the tracks I've made I have to say the UL is still a killer amp and some of my stuff does sound really good with it, some of the faster stuff. I wouldn't say it's thin, it's just thinner than the CL. Though I will still use the CL mainly on recording, for some of my songs I want to use the UL, and I'm sure the UL will also be a killer live amp, so I've decided I'm keeping mine. I dial 'em up identically so it's nice to have two similar yet different sounds.

cancelthesound
04-29-2005, 02:35 PM
After listening some more to the tracks I've made I have to say the UL is still a killer amp and some of my stuff does sound really good with it, some of the faster stuff. I wouldn't say it's thin, it's just thinner than the CL. Though I will still use the CL mainly on recording, for some of my songs I want to use the UL, and I'm sure the UL will also be a killer live amp, so I've decided I'm keeping mine. I dial 'em up identically so it's nice to have two similar yet different sounds.

The UL is a killer amp no doubt. It just comes down to nuances in your playing and what you prefer in your sound. For some reason I just miss the green channel of the 50CL I had, it's a killer 50 watt amplifier. The UL is a different beast, I've recorded some great sounding tracks with it and I totally agree that it doesn't sound thin, just thinner than the CL. The UL sounds amazing for fast stuff, I used to do a lot of fast palm muted stuff for rhythm work but lately I've been getting away from that. I think that's my biggest fear about getting rid of the UL, however the 50CL seemed to do a good job with the fast stuff as well, just not like the UL does it. Oh the dilemas.

Grendel
04-29-2005, 10:07 PM
I hear ya, the CL can do the fast stuff well (I use the red channel since it is more open and fast sounding than the green channel), but the bass and response is slower than the UL definitely, and the green channel's even a little more loose and slow sounding (at least to my ears). I've decided I'm going to record my fast stuff with the UL and use the CL with my slower and mid tempo stuff, at least for now. I've found better sweet spots for the UL which is making me like it even more and the amp is growing and growing on me.
I also think the CL has a bit more of a midrange presence while the UL is more about the lows and highs.
I have a lot of fast aggressive material and I am finding the UL suits it very well indeed, the CL's lagging a little behind the UL's forward momentum.

cancelthesound
05-16-2005, 11:02 AM
So I'm putting this out here to see what kind of interest I get. I'm thinking of selling my VHT Ultralead and the roadcase I have for it. The ultralead was recently retubed with EHX KT88s and is in excellent shape, and comes with the cover and I have an extra set of tubes that I would be willing to include for a few bucks extra. The roadcase is a live-in road case with a 3-space shock rack above it and it has casters. I got it from
www.affordable-cases.com and it ran me over $400.

I would be interested in doing a trade towards a Diezel Herbert. I would also consider partial trades for a 50 or 100CL with eq/tube rectifier/class a switch, or a 100 CLX. If the trade works out for a VHT I would be willing to hold on to the road case, otherwise I'd like to sell it along with the UL.

Send me a pm or email at cancelthesound@yahoo.com