PDA

View Full Version : EMG's with UL and Alder body guitars

roguetheory
04-20-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm in the market for a new pick-up for my Les Paul Standard, before I hit the studio. I thought my ESP Stephen Carpenter loaded with an EMG 81 would work wonders with my VHT UL.

As it turns out it was very harsh and un-clear.

I just had a nice informative chat with Tim at www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk and he thinks that tone is a
33-33-33 (and a third ) % split between the guitars wood/pick-up and amp.

He mentioned that Alder is a very naturally bright wood, coupled with a bright pup like an EMG 81 would contribute to the harsh sound I'm getting.

Does anybody agree that an 81 with a 1 piece Alder wood guitar (with a maple neck) could in fact be the reason I'm not liking the EMG 81 ?

To be safe, I'm going to order a BK Warpig, as it's suppose to have the same output and saturation as the EMG 81, only more balanced, with a more organic tone.

opinions please.

Giga
04-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm in the market for a new pick-up for my Les Paul Standard, before I hit the studio. I thought my ESP Stephen Carpenter loaded with an EMG 81 would work wonders with my VHT UL.

As it turns out it was very harsh and un-clear.

I just had a nice informative chat with Tim at www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk and he thinks that tone is a
33-33-33 (and a third ) % split between the guitars wood/pick-up and amp.

He mentioned that Alder is a very naturally bright wood, coupled with a bright pup like an EMG 81 would contribute to the harsh sound I'm getting.

Does anybody agree that an 81 with a 1 piece Alder wood guitar (with a maple neck) could in fact be the reason I'm not liking the EMG 81 ?

To be safe, I'm going to order a BK Warpig, as it's suppose to have the same output and saturation as the EMG 81, only more balanced, with a more organic tone.

opinions please.

What I've found is that for what i play (classic rock mostly) the UL doesn't like high output PU's. While the XN-2 I have in my Dean explorer works great with my VTM120 it made the UL tone squishy. I lowered the pick-up a fair amount and that made it much better (IMO of course).
Since the EMG's are very high output it wouldn't surprise me if your problem lies there....

Giga.

Tetsuo
04-20-2005, 06:03 PM
That is interesting because I have a Jackson soloist with 18volt EMG's that did not wow me with the UL... Actually I am starting to figure what Giga just said I think the higher output pups my VHT is not as fond of... the XN-2 is madly high powered though

Grendel
04-21-2005, 01:50 AM
EMG's sound better through the low input, it sounds like it overloads on the high input.
Maple tops warm up EMG's and make them not so harsh.

Tetsuo
04-22-2005, 12:48 PM
EMG's sound better through the low input, it sounds like it overloads on the high input.
Maple tops warm up EMG's and make them not so harsh.

I am maple topped

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/captainjazz/Guitars/27e84daf.jpg

Still seems to bright though

Ced777
04-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Tim at BK is a great guy. I ordered a pair of Nailbomb bridge + Riff Raff neck and they are exactly what I wanted.
Look at the Warpig or Miracle Man (= Zakk Wylde tone). And listen to Tim's advice. He is the guy.

Ced777

Grendel
04-23-2005, 12:07 AM
I like EMG's a little better in the low input on the UL, but the CL definitely takes to EMG's much better, it's warmer.

roguetheory
04-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Tim at BK is a great guy. I ordered a pair of Nailbomb bridge + Riff Raff neck and they are exactly what I wanted.
Look at the Warpig or Miracle Man (= Zakk Wylde tone). And listen to Tim's advice. He is the guy.

Ced777

Awesome ! What's the Nailbomb like compared to the Ducan JB ?
I've ordered the Warpig, although, I'm gonnna trade it for a Nailbomb IF I don't like it .

Do they sound good with the VHT's ?

Ced777
04-24-2005, 05:28 PM
Nailbomb is bright but not nasal like the JB. More output, but not compressed. Tight bass, strong midrange (but not boosted like a duncan CC), and lots of presence. Balanced to my ears. I had a JB a long time ago (in a different set), therefore it's only memories. The Nailbomb is extremely punchy.
The JB has more high-mids, is more compressed., more focused. In the Duncan line, I would compare the Nailbomb to the Duncan Distortion: raw, open, powerfull. The DD is maybe a bit more agressive. The NB splits very well (with my middle SC).

It works well with my CLX. But everything works well with it ;-)

roguetheory
04-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Nailbomb is bright but not nasal like the JB. More output, but not compressed. Tight bass, strong midrange (but not boosted like a duncan CC), and lots of presence. Balanced to my ears. I had a JB a long time ago (in a different set), therefore it's only memories. The Nailbomb is extremely punchy.
The JB has more high-mids, is more compressed., more focused. In the Duncan line, I would compare the Nailbomb to the Duncan Distortion: raw, open, powerfull. The DD is maybe a bit more agressive. The NB splits very well (with my middle SC).

It works well with my CLX. But everything works well with it ;-)

Great news !
I might look into one, after the Warpig..I don't suppose you know if the Warpig would sound good with the UL ?

Ced777
04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Did not try the warpig. I think it is a bit less versatile (more extreme), but a bit thicker. Probably very nice.

roguetheory
04-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Did not try the warpig. I think it is a bit less versatile (more extreme), but a bit thicker. Probably very nice.

Just got an e-mail from Tim. Warpig is on the way..
Fingers crossed it doesn't yield similar down side effects with the UL like the EMG 81.

ryan
04-29-2005, 02:43 AM
i've been using basswood guitars with my GP3 --> 2:90:2 setup, but i've also noticed that it gets very thin sounding with emg 81s. i'm using dimarzio super 3 pickups now and they sound great. theyre discontinued so a little hard to find....but its worth checking out if your interested.

ryan

Metalaxe
02-12-2006, 04:36 PM
similar effects with the 81 and my classc.
but-......
LOVE the 85 with it!!