PDA

View Full Version : New Here, VHT question 50/12 vs 45 combo

Assumer
04-16-2005, 02:38 AM
Unfortantly cannot listen to any VHT amps locally. (6 hour drive) Anyway, upon reading and reputation, I am interested in going the VHT route. Usually play classic rock, hard rock, some heavy stuff but not overly heavy. Music ranges from eagles, Failure, Dream Theater, Zepplin, Rush, Porcupine tree, marillion, etc. Currently looking at a used 50/12 a 1x12 combo and a 45 combo. I have read the 45 is more classic rock or less heavy sounding but can anyone give me a more detailed discription of these amps and which would meet my musical taste? Clean is very important. I do not want an overly bright clean channel. I usually play humbucker equipped guitars.
Thanks in advance.
Frank

Giga
04-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Unfortantly cannot listen to any VHT amps locally. (6 hour drive) Anyway, upon reading and reputation, I am interested in going the VHT route. Usually play classic rock, hard rock, some heavy stuff but not overly heavy. Music ranges from eagles, Failure, Dream Theater, Zepplin, Rush, Porcupine tree, marillion, etc. Currently looking at a used 50/12 a 1x12 combo and a 45 combo. I have read the 45 is more classic rock or less heavy sounding but can anyone give me a more detailed discription of these amps and which would meet my musical taste? Clean is very important. I do not want an overly bright clean channel. I usually play humbucker equipped guitars.
Thanks in advance.
Frank

From all the VHT's I've tried I liked the clean from the 45's the best; a real warm tone with a lot of headroom.
The gainchannel of the 45 has more than enough gain for the type of music you're playing, otherwise just use an additional external boost

The only thing I didn't like about the 45 was the way the poweramp breaks up when the amp is pushed to it's limits. I reckon it's those EL84's breaking-upcharacteristics I don't like. I've heard them in other amps before and I didn't care for them then also.

I don't know about which 50 you're talking; I've only tried the ST; a little less warm clean with a lot less headroom, gainchannel in the same ballpark as the 45. Nicer powertube break-up (to my ears).

Never played the 30, hopefully someone who has chimes in...

Giga.

Assumer
04-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Hey, thanks for the reply. I believe the 50/12 is a 1x12 version of the 50st. I could be totally wrong here. (has happened before) It is a 1998 model.

Sonar
04-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Frank,

If I'm correct about what you've found, the big difference is the power section.

The Pittbull 45 offers power of 4-EL84 tubes with a tube rectifier. A popular configuration for VHT and very musical. Really nice cleans with the ability to cut a barroom or club with a nice uniform sound. I mean, you won't level the first three rows of patrons to be heard in the back of the room. Very uniform. A Swiss Army knife of sounds and tones.

The Pittbull 45 isn't for HEAVY rock and metal. It has colors and nuance not needed by detuned PRS slingers. It's a great package anywhere NEAR it's price point but obviously won't give you the "thump in the chest" that a 100-watt through a sealed 4-12" cab will......yet some players think it should because it says VHT on it. Taken for what it IS, the Pittbull 45 is a current CLASSIC.

The current Fifty/Twelve (50/12) is an 2/EL-34 powered amp with solidstate rectification. BIGGER sound, bigger mids, less "sweetness". It's your old school Marshall 50-watt tube setup with far superior tone shaping ability. It CAN hurt people in the first few rows. The cleans are there and are among the best cleans I've ever heard from EL34 power.....but IMHO nothing is as nice as EL84 or 6L6 cleans which set the standard. The 50/12 is a fist in a very nice Tolex glove compared to the Pittbull 45.

BOTH very nice amps and you just need to be honest about your needs, playing and musical style when deciding which is your perfect match.

-- Sonar

Assumer
04-21-2005, 11:26 AM
[ The 50/12 is a fist in a very nice Tolex glove compared to the Pittbull 45.

Thanks
Love that description. I went with the 50st. Now the waiting begins. Any idea on the average wait for a VHT. The guys at Drum City Guitarland said it could be three months to six months.

Scott Peterson
04-21-2005, 09:10 PM
I ordered a speaker cab from VHT, special order in Ivory, and this past week was told by VHT that it'd be two weeks from now. I ordered it in early January.

The hold up was the fact that they are switching cabinet makers right now. Shouldn't hold your amp up too much.

BTW, I own a 50ST head and a 45 1-12 combo. Incredible amps, truly.

I'd mostly agree with the descriptions above.