View Full Version : JMP-1 or Engl E530?

03-31-2008, 06:08 PM
redoing my rack, need a good preamp for my 2/50/2.
relegating my VooduValve to FX only for now.

Those that suggested the G-Major for FX, shame on you.
Only days out of the box, and it locks up.
Too bad, cause it sounded great otherwise...

w/ the money refunded, need a preamp.
what say you?

12-06-2008, 03:15 PM
iv got a marshall jmp1 and a valvulator gp3 and i would recomend both, but it depends on the sound youre after because they are both very different, i love them both but the gp3 is more favoured for what i like to hear, got a lot more tone, whilst the marshall is awesome but not as versatile, still rocks, i use them both together with 2 marshall 4x 12 cabs, the gp3 through a vintage greenback and the jmp1 through a jcm 800 cab sounds truly frightening together, cant say about the engl cos i never used one,

12-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I owned a JMP1 for a long time, and it served me well. Although it's not a true tube preamp (neither is the e530), it DOES cover a variety of Marshall tones quite well.

I've played through the e530 for about an hour, and I wasn't impressed with the gainy channel. The clean wasn't half bad. Neither is even close to my GP3.

The Mesa Triaxis is quite good. I had one for quite a while as well, and now I kinda want to get another. More money, though.

01-17-2009, 04:37 PM
IMO, the jmp1 is a turd. No definition,thin, muddy high gain, poor cleans, etc. Keep the Voodoo valve if you don't want to go for the GP3 or Tri ax.

07-12-2009, 07:29 AM
if youre going for a thrash metal/metal sound i would recommend the jmp-1
the danish thrash/death metal band called hatesphere has sweared to these for a long long time and imo i havent heard better live sound :)
but they use it in front of a mesa 2:90.

01-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Poweramps have alot to do with the tone. I have a JMP1 and have played it through a mesa 2/90 marshall dual monoblock and the VHT/Fryette 2/92 and by far it sounds best through that! But the Valvuator preamp still slays it!

01-28-2010, 12:01 AM
I play a lot of different styles of music. I'm extremely happy with the marriage between the Egnater M4 and the Two/Fifty/Two!