PDA

View Full Version : Class A/B & Dual-Class

BARHOPPER
04-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi, I am a new CLX owner and was wondering if someone could explain a little bit about the Class A/B & Dual-Class function to me. Is the dual-class operating in Class A mode as well as A/B or is this something alittle different? I haven't tried it out just yet, but what tonal characteristics will I be hearing compared to class A/B? Also, I understand that when in half-power mode via the standby switch, you have to change the impedance setting, but does this have to be done when running in dual-class as well? Thanks in advance for any help! By the way, my amp does not have the "enhance" option, but I may be getting another VHT with this option, so if anyone wouldn't mind explaining a little about this as well. The VHT website doesn't seem to go into much detail explaining about what these functons actually do.

Ced777
04-09-2005, 05:18 AM
Hi, I am a new CLX owner and was wondering if someone could explain a little bit about the Class A/B & Dual-Class function to me. Is the dual-class operating in Class A mode as well as A/B or is this something alittle different? I haven't tried it out just yet, but what tonal characteristics will I be hearing compared to class A/B?

In dual class:
2 power tubes are running in class A (or pseudo class A) and the two others in Class A/B. If you use your amp in half-power mode, the class A/B tubes are the only ones working. Therfore the Dual Class switch has no effect in half power mode.

Also, I understand that when in half-power mode via the standby switch, you have to change the impedance setting, but does this have to be done when running in dual-class as well? Thanks in advance for any help! By the way, my amp does not have the "enhance" option, but I may be getting another VHT with this option, so if anyone wouldn't mind explaining a little about this as well. The VHT website doesn't seem to go into much detail explaining about what these functons actually do.

No you don't have to change the impedance when using the dual class switch.

BARHOPPER
04-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info Ced, I'll try it out later today. One more question though. If you go to the VHT site and click on "Products", the second to last paragraph states that you have the option of Class A, Class A/B, or both. It then goes on to describe the differences between running the amp using these modes in haf-power(fat'n'honkin) vs. full-power(chunky'n'sweet). If I kinew how to work the icons I'd have a confused looking one right about here. Does this maybe have something to do with the "enhance" option that mine is missing. Thanks again!

Ced777
04-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Yes I read it too. I don't know what to think. Maybe I am wrong about the half-power/dual class combination...