View Full Version : Stompbox 101! Humphrey Audio?

10-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey Fella's,

i moving of from the world of multi-fx for now and i wish to start a stompbox collection.. i've been checking out humphrey audio's various modded pedals and they are sold like crack and it seems to appease the buyers?

Personal Experiences? Avid Users?

i've never used the stock pedals, so i really dont know what the differences would be.. nothing to really compare it to... you know?
so any advice, recommendations of other pedals, or intell period would be greatly appreciated...

Let The Classes Begin..

i was just gonna buy the trio "atom smasher"(comp./sust.), "Badder Monkey"(O.D.), "SLO/Diezel"(Dist.) pedals..

10-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Well, I guess that depends on stuff like what you want more or less of, what amp(s) you’re playing through, what kind of style you’re into, what kind of tone you’re going for...

There are no rules on effects, or their order/placement, but I would not necessarily slap an OD/Distortion/Fuzz in front of a Pittbull. I would not even use a compressor… Generally, I've gotten enough gain, better dynamic response and overall tone going directly into the amp. But that's just me. Might be different for you/others.

I have had great results running all the time-based pedals through the effect loop of my CLX: chorus, reverb, flanger, delay/eco. I have gone through several, but I am rocking an MXR Stereo Chorus, EH Holy Grail, and a Line 6 DL4 through the loop. They all sound good to me. :twisted:

10-30-2007, 04:31 PM
well, i purchased them...

wasn't overly impressed with the outcome, robs an ass load of power..
there are some relatively good sounds but just not the raunchy tone im used to hearing come from my pitbull 50-CL, needless to say they're sitting to the side, might use them occasionally to practice thru my lil clean practice amp...

i was looking into a phase or a flanger.. i may sell the pedals i just bought might even get a positive return on them since i bought all 3 together at a decreased price.. but i might hang on to them just for the meer fact they're easily transported, rather than lugging a big EXPEN$ive multi board, or the even bigger more expensive VHT Half Stack..

i wish you had got to me before i bought them..
its just im trying to make my amp sound better, when im pretty much happy with the way it sounds... just the hunger for more i guess..
or maybe the desire for perfection and a few more than 2 different sounds..

10-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Hear you LOUD and CLEAR (no pun intended! :-D). Bummer you did not care for the pedals, glad you might flip 'em for a profit.

I have only used MXR 90s for phasers. I like the PH90 EVH model significantly better than the normal PH90, which I also have. Although to me, they both sound better on other amps than on my CL or CLX. Aside from slight reverb, occasional chorus for clean stuff and some delay, I much prefer that awesome VHT raw tone straight through, without effects.

10-31-2007, 03:09 PM
are there ANY? Fx pedal that i could use that wont castrate my pitull?

your gear list says Valvulator.. do they really save the signal?
or "Sound as if your plugging directly into the Head" ..?

i dont wanna choke up the dough if it doesn't really restore the sound through a daisy chain..

i've bought 2 guitars, my half stack and those 3 pedal, not to mention numerous additions to the drum kit.. in the last 3 months...

need to start testing and do further research before i bake too much bread..

but if its worth it i might sell the compressor..

10-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Have you read through the threads/posts in this section (pedals that work well) ?

I've had good results with the Xotic RC booster before my UL. My D60 responds well to an old Marshall Bluesbreaker and my GP3 likes the old Guvner. No tonesuckage when off because they are all true bypass.

Never used a compressor/sustainer but maybe a good tubescreamer-type pedal (true-bypass !) will yield the same kind of result.

When I tried a seperate Valvulator i didn't like it because it gave a kind of "single-coil like" effect. The same happened when I first used the Valvulator build into the GP3. Using a different tube sorted that out though. In my experience the Valvulator is of no use for good pedals but it does do a great job in maintaining your signal through long cables.

Good luck !

11-02-2007, 04:22 PM
i've read some of the other threads, and i saw the one video of the dude playing on an Xotic pedal.. none of the sounds i would desire though...

im more on that End of the World Disaster type tone which the 50-CL handles quite nicely but it seems somthing is missing, and always a bluesy ZZ, Jimi, Aerosmith sound.. but for blues i think the amp and my Les Paul pretty much got it covered... maybe a nice Reverb would Catapult it into Perfection.. was thinkin a holy, or holier grail.. dunno... maybe the metal side is missing reverb as well.. im just a silly boy witha guitar.. not a tech..:mrgreen:

but anyone who's got a preference on reverb pedals, & Deadly Tone!
idea's and suggestions are Welcome..

11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Hey jyoshcyox,

I use my Pitbull 45/12 combo amp with 4 cables onstage. Here is a picture of my guitar rig:

My signal chain is like this:

Guitar>patchbay>VHT Valvulator tube buffer/power supply> Area 51 wah pedal> Korg DT-10 tuner> Pitbull 45/12 amp

My effects loop is: Pitbull effects send> effects send input to patchbay> Visual Sound H20> effects return from patchbay> Pitbull effects return.

The Valvulator I tube buffer restores my guitar signal going through the wah pedal & tuner. I run my modulated & delay effects through the VHT Pitbull 45/12 amp with the effects loop set on low and in series. I use the effects loop level knob as a master volume for the entire amp instead of having to adjust the drive & clean channel volumes seperately. I use the amp's reverb since it sounds good enough for my needs.

Guitar George

11-08-2007, 10:24 AM
I am rocking the Holy Grail (less than 100 bucks) through the loop in series with decent results. It takes some tweaking of the loop output and the pedal effect level to get it right, and can't pass the effect passed 12:00 o’clock without weird results, but it does sound good at that level. Set it and forget it.... It's also fairly inexpensive, and it sounds good in other amps as well... I've read great reviews on the Holier, but have not tried it.

TC and Eventide (such as 2016) have truly great reverbs, but they are much more expensive. Here you'd be talking rack gear and in many cases, pro level processing....

I'd try the Holy and see if it works for you.

11-14-2007, 04:17 PM
i appreciate the input...

My effects button on my footswitch quit working???

11-14-2007, 04:46 PM

Is the loopswitch on the back of the amp pushed in ?

11-18-2007, 12:41 AM

Check your EQ button in the back of the amp first...

11-27-2007, 04:13 PM
it was the loop button on the back of the amp..

thanks.. didn't even think about that i figured it worked just like the boost button on the front if its pushed in it still works..

sorry it took so long to get back i dont have the internet at home currently
but i hopefully will soon...

thanks again guys..

Anyone tryed the BBE Treble Booster?
True bypass... seems like a nice unit...
im kinda interested in the stomp maximizer as well...
any input?