PDA

View Full Version : Loopy GNX4

jyoshcyox
10-05-2007, 04:23 PM
hey guy's..

First Thread be gentle...

i've got a CL-50 w/ EQ and im trying to loop my GNX4 thru it.. (i know im gonna get some flak for the GNX but thats not the issue at hand)

but when i loop it in.. i get this uncontrollable unwanted low hummy shrill, does anyone know how to fix this? will a valvulator do the trick? i know its not the cables im running monster SP1000's...

I love the amp solo, and contrary to popular beliefs the GNX4 is fantastic thru headphones, my practice amp and for direct recording purposes... but i cant figure it out... they just wont jive.. i hope there is a solution.. because the models of the MFX supermodels CD are F'n A! and i want to hear them with my pittbulls bark..

i've tried turning every thing to 0 on the amp and on the pedal, none of this controls the humshrillish noise of insanity...

Giga
10-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Groundloop maybe ? Have you tried to use a non-grounded outlet for the GNX ?

Giga.

jyoshcyox
10-08-2007, 12:45 PM
No but i've tried the Ground Lift Switch..?

wouldn't it serve the same purpose? or does it make a difference?

Giga
10-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah, that should suffice for the ground issue.

Is the GNX meant to use in a loop ?

Giga.

jyoshcyox
10-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Yes, its can be looped.. im going to have to look thru that part of the manual again.. make sure im not missing somthing...

i think i might just start getting stomp box's...

keep the GNX for recording sake and practicing etc, if i cant finger this out...

jyoshcyox
10-11-2007, 02:30 PM
i was hoping to get a little more help,

but im about to just keep the GNX for recording purposes and start stompboxing... thru the amp...

i've found a lot of well 98% on GNX users jam thru a PA...

that just doesn't feel right..

Especially because i got one of the baddest stacks on the planet..

i was considering some of the Humphrey Audio Modded Boxes... Any suggestions, Recommendations... looking for a BAD ASS overdrive pedal.. a Compressor.. and a raunchy kill your family type distortion...

Giga
10-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Have you tried other pedals/devices in the loop ? Maybe the loopbuffertube is bad ?

Have you tried the GNX in front of the amp ?

Giga.

jyoshcyox
10-12-2007, 01:32 PM
i haven't tryed any other effects yet.. dont really have any...

and yes i've tried it in front and its way noisier...

i dont really think its really much for tube amp usage... unless its like a rack tube amp, like a 2/50/2 or 2/90/2... (which i was going to purchase before i bought my pittbull... but i couldn't pass up the deal on the half stack..)
and like i said on the GNX4 forum i checked out 89-98% of the guys were using PA systems... and i really dont think that'll gimme the barky chunk i want... but im going to purchase a few stompboxs and see how they sound in the loop...

how do you tell if the "loop buffer tube" is bad?
this is my first tube amp.. i've still got lots to learn..
but i enjoy learning.. im just not into trying real ballsy things cause i dont want to fuck it up... i've got a lotta dough tied up in this bad boy...

Thanks for your help Giga i really appreciate it..

Giga
10-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Try a simple patchcable from FX send to -return and see what happens. If that doesn't degrade the tone it's almost certain the problem lies with the GNX.

Another thing: if you say a lot of guys use it with PA amps, is it equipped with XLR plugs ? Maybe the wiring in one of the plugs is reversed or something ?

Giga.

jyoshcyox
10-15-2007, 01:41 PM
It does have XLR outputs, it has dual balaced 1/4" outs as well as dual balanced XLR outputs.. but im not quite sure what you mean the outputs reversed??? please explain?

i think its just a tube thing.. because my pops has the GNX3 he uses a 100watt Marshall mosfet Solid State Amp and his sounds fine... and my GNX4 sounds fine thru my Peavey solid state practice amp... i think its just cause the thing its supposed to sound tubie without tubes... but i dunno..

Giga
10-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Are you sure it has balanced jack-outputs ? If that's the case you need a stereoplug on one end of the cable and a monoplug on the other. On the other hand; if the GNX works fine with other amps the wiring should be OK. I'm afraid I'm running out of suggestions here...

Giga.