View Full Version : Xotic BB preamp @ MXR GT-OD

tristan
02-24-2007, 07:47 PM
hey there :)

for my side I use a BB peamp to increase the gain on my main sound wich is
GAIN1 mid
GAIN2 max
ovedrive: less

when I need to get a thicker sound I just boost the gain with my MXR GT-OD with this setup
GAIN1 max
GAIN2 max
overdrive :more

the MXR sounds really really warm and the Xotic is perfect to get a huge amount of gain...

I'm not really a fan of noise gate but when I need it I use an ISP decimator just after the ovedrive...no need to get an FX loop, it works PERFECT like that...

I did a video with it...it was posted here (http://www.vhtusers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1442)

nice to be back here :-D

Kelly
02-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi! I saw your video. What nice playing. I just picked up a RC Booster and it sounds great. The Xotic stuff is highly recommended.

kt88
02-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Just curious; do you guys find the deliverance doesn't have enough gain?

or

Do you use these to simulate channel switching?

Kelly
02-25-2007, 05:01 PM
I use a clean boost to fatten up single coils, which I use most of the time. Just a volume boost for leads, really.

tristan
02-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Just curious; do you guys find the deliverance doesn't have enough gain?

or

Do you use these to simulate channel switching?

I use a lot of legato techniques and I need as most gain as possible...but I don't like High gain amps anymore...I prefer using the delivrance with a reaaly good crunch sond ( crisp) or a rythm (thick) then I boost it with an overdrive,then I really hear THE GUITAT...If I use the max of gain from the amp, I hear more AMP than my guitar...

kt88
02-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks, I was just wondering as I was thinking of trying one of Xotic pedals and wondered how everyone was using them !

tristan
02-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks, I was just wondering as I was thinking of trying one of Xotic pedals and wondered how everyone was using them !

hey bro...happy that you like it :-D

Kelly
02-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks, I was just wondering as I was thinking of trying one of Xotic pedals and wondered how everyone was using them !I had been using a modded boss ge-7 for clean boost, but it sucks some signal. Thought I'd try the RC Booster. Glad I did.

kt88
02-26-2007, 08:25 PM
I guess I'll have to go try em' out....with my Deliverance.

With the deliverance, it would be nice to have a boost and add a variable into the tone for solos etc.

Not sure which is better for me...I'd be more interested in just a few db and not changing my tone drastically.

I would think depending on how any of them are set, they would be fine to:

a) boost the overall volume
b)shape tone
c)add gain if needed

VHT-J-CAN
02-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Sounds like this might be what you're after......

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f150/iluvtts/mxrmc402.jpg

kt88
02-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Do you use one with your D Series head?

That would command about half the price, which the wife would like...lol :mrgreen:

kt88
02-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I use a clean boost to fatten up single coils, which I use most of the time. Just a volume boost for leads, really.

I love single coils too...I think they offer more tone; I really like having a sem-hollow body too, I would have never thought I'd be so blown away by my new guitar. I can get fat singing leads when I roll the tone off too...

Nothing like a "fat" single coil tone, I concur :twisted:

VHT-J-CAN
02-27-2007, 09:39 AM
I haven't used it yet because it's still in the mail. Or possibly sitting in customs for who knows how long:evil:

I'lll let you know how it works.

Do you use one with your D Series head?

That would command about half the price, which the wife would like...lol :mrgreen:

kt88
02-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Sounds good, thanks !

romvert
02-27-2007, 11:35 PM
I got the BB preamp about a month ago and the results I get out of this little thing are the best that I ever had with any other pedal!Other than being a true bypass circuit, it doesn't have the stupid tone control that competely takes the bass out of the amp! It actually has an EQ with highs and lows.And it doesn't color or shape the tone;it just simply makes it better.Enough overdrive and smooth sustain.
And on top of it all it's pretty clean (no noise) for a pedal (within reason).

kleinm
02-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Not sure if anyone likes to get geeky about things, but if so here's some information about your BBs so you know what's running under the hood.

The BB preamp is a modified TS-808. No joke, and also realize this doesn't make it any less of a pedal. A JTM45 is a modified Bassman, but they're both great amps. Anyway, the BB's extra gain (comparatively) is from the 1MA gain pot in the first opamp stage's feedback loop. The TS-808 uses a 500kA stock.

The second opamp stage is just like the TS-808's tone control, but instead of a 20k or 25k poteniometer, it uses a 19k fixed resistor to set the RC filter at a preset value.

From that point, the BB (and AC, and RC) adds a second IC chip (a second JRC4558 or correlative variant) to push the signal through the secret to the Xotic's tone - a Baxandall tone stack (ie - the Bass and Treble control). If you've played a THD Univalve or Bivalve, you've played with a Baxandall. Its a very sweet and natural sounding tone stack. Play with it on Duncan's TSC and see how much it differs than other stacks.

Its voltage divider is also constructed slightly differently than the TS-808.

By the way, the AC and RC are essentially the same story. The AC uses a 500kA gain pot just like a Tube Screamer, and the same parallel clipping diodes (1N4148 or 1N914) as a TS-808. The RC is exactly the same as the AC, but it uses a total of 6 diodes in the "clipping" section (ie - first stage's feedback loop). 3 in series parallel to another 3 in series. This increases the collective voltage threshold of the diodes. As a result, you get MUCH less clipping and MUCH less compression. I think the BB might have a different RC filter right after the output buffer to slightly bring the midrange down.

Wonder why they didn't add a switch to go from the AC to the RC for about, oh $2 in parts?.....

Also, this is why the Xotic pedals all sound so similar and play so well with each other. They're essentially modifications of the same design.

Sorry for the rant.

Giga
02-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Well, that "rant" was very much appreciated ! Thanks....

Giga.

tristan
03-21-2007, 05:45 AM
Well, that "rant" was very much appreciated ! Thanks....

Giga.

hey, xotic just gave me an endorsment deal. :-D

harbinger
03-22-2007, 08:58 AM
hey, xotic just gave me an endorsment deal. :-D

Wow, excellent. Though given your skillz, it's well deserved. =)

Off-tangently, has anyone tried the BBE Sonic Maximizer or Sonic Stomp? I've been curious as to what it actually does, though i hear its a great addition to any amp.

tristan
03-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Wow, excellent. Though given your skillz, it's well deserved. =)

Off-tangently, has anyone tried the BBE Sonic Maximizer or Sonic Stomp? I've been curious as to what it actually does, though i hear its a great addition to any amp.

I did not try it but everybody says it's excellent...

ironmagen
03-22-2007, 06:34 PM
hey, tristan, i was checking out some of your other videos on youtube, and i'm wondering what you were using for delay on your "straight silhoutte special/ VHt" vid?

awesome playing btw.

tristan
03-23-2007, 04:42 AM
hey :) delay comes from logic pro ...

jbird
06-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Off-tangently, has anyone tried the BBE Sonic Maximizer or Sonic Stomp?

Or, more tangently, how 'bout BBE's Boosta Grande Pedal? 20db Clean Boost!

tone?
06-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Tristan,

in the "straight silhoutte special/ VHt" vid" you did, which boost pedal do you use? the Xotic or the MXR?? I know you are endorsing them but are they really different in their application and sound??

I am thinking about getting an BB preamp myself.

Maybe you can do a sound difference on a vid of the two pedals??

which has more boost??

thanks!

By the way nice tasty playing. ( That is what matters most!)