PDA

View Full Version : I finally got me a VHT Ultralead!!!

mystixboi
02-20-2005, 12:39 PM
So I finally got a great offer from someone to trade me my Bogner XTC for a VHT Ultralead plus a wad of cash. I used to have a Super 30, but sold it to SteveLINY...

Anyway, I spent a few hours with this beast yesterday and I freakin love it!!! It's so incredibly dynamic and really is a versatile amp. I have it set up so I have 4 individual channels.

1st channel - clean. not the best clean, but nice enough to be warm. I have a Visual Sound H2O in the effects loop to add a bit of delay(sometimes slight chorus too) and it totally opens up the sound more. Really nice stuff going on there. I was expecting the clean to suck because VHT's aren't really known for their clean channels.

2nd channel - great for AC/DC stuff. Straight up rock n roll tone that isn't too compressed. Really dirty, but not overkill.

3rd channel - Amp really opens up. This is going to be the main channel that I use. I have pretty much have the treble and bass slightly past noon and the mids slightly lowered, but I'm sure that I will have to bring them up in a band situation. Long story short, this channel just owns!!!!

3rd channel with EQ on - There are two ways that I use this graphic EQ, either for a lead boost or as a 4th channel with slightly scooped mids. It depends how this beast sounds with the band that will determine that.

Overall report... the amp is what I have been waiting for... I don't know why I didn't get one earlier. It covers so many different bases and has a nice full sound too it. I still have to play with it more, but right now I couldn't be happier.

BTW, I don't see myself getting rid of this one any time soon.

SteveVHT
02-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Can I say, I told you so????
Awesome, and congrats....
Steve

rbone100
02-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Congrads on the new amp! :mrgreen: I am green with envy!

mystixboi
02-20-2005, 03:06 PM
thanks guys... hey steve... is it just me or should my amp be louder? i am playing with it and it just doesn't seem like it's a loud amp... is there some switch on the back that i am not seeing that reduces the power in half?

Giga
02-20-2005, 05:49 PM
thanks guys... hey steve... is it just me or should my amp be louder? i am playing with it and it just doesn't seem like it's a loud amp... is there some switch on the back that i am not seeing that reduces the power in half?

I've experienced this too, it's not very loud compared to some others I've played.
Not a bad thing IMO, aren't we always complaining our amps are too loud when they are at their sweet spot ?

Giga.

CalyxRai
02-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Honestly John? This is what I and other VHT users I've spoken to have noticed. The Gain is a lot more tapered. That is where 3 is on say Marshall SLP, it's like 1.5-2 on the VHT. The upside is - where other amps simply continue to get more compressed instead of louder, the VHT gets louder :twisted: So it's really on a different scale than most amps, but really it's not any quieter. It's actually prob. louder due to the KT88's and it being rated at 120W rather than the standard 100W - not that there is a huge audible difference btwn 120W and 100W. They say there is only a 3db difference btwn 50W and a 100W so...but yea overall the volume range/taper is just different than what you are used to. It took me a long time to adjust to that fact lol Congrats man! Sheet you're making me want a 2nd UL :wink:

Rai //
www.FarewellRadiance.com