PDA

View Full Version : New Deliverance Sixty 2X12 Combo Clips

sfryette
09-23-2006, 09:06 PM
In putting the final touches on the Deliverance Sixty combo, Brian Kahanek and I got together at drummer Larry DeGasperin’s pro tools studio to play and listen to the amplifier in a band context. This was a pretty loose affair and an impromptu jam ensued with Larry on drums, Brian on guitar and yours truly making a mockery of the bass instrument.

After several hours and lots of goofing around, we decided that the amp was ready for prime time and happily no innocent bystanders had been injured. At least that’s what we thought.

Larry called me the next day to drop by the studio and “pick up a copy of the CD”. “What CD?” We were originally going to lay down a couple of pro tools tracks but we never got around to it, so I just assumed fate intervened and the world had been spared any unnecessary wankage. What Brian and I didn’t know was that Larry in characteristic zeal has his ritual room mics on and running at all times, and this day was no exception.

I called Brian and gave him the bad news. After several minutes talking him off of his balcony railing, we listened to the CD. We were actually pleasantly surprised at the recording quality. I’ll reserve my comments about the amp in the interest of attempting to remain objective, but I think it goes without saying that Brian’s playing is nothing short of brilliant. Those with keen ears will notice the apparent lack of interest in tuning, which in retrospect was mainly a byproduct of the generally good spirits, and rightly so I think.

Herewith are links to a couple of segments from the CD, which I must admit were edited down from 20 minutes to 5 or less and a wee bit of reverb added after the fact.

The first tune is called Megan’s Train (a little tribute to Linda Blair’s character in the Exorcist, which is what we were hoping to do with the tracks…)
Guitar is stock Fender 56 Relic (TT sunburst, maple neck).
Voodoo Labs Microvibe (sounding stellar if I do say so myself). http://www.voodoolab.com/microvibe.htm
http://www.fryette.com/clips/Megans_Train.mp3

The second tune is called Sunshine Man (referring to that which we were blowing up each others backsides as the beer continued to flow…)
Guitar is stock Gibson Les Paul 58 Burst RI (a sweet guitar, without a doubt…).
Xotic R/C Booster (mostly off, but if you listen closely, you can hear it kick in about midway through the clip).
http://www.fryette.com/clips/Sunshine_Man.mp3

During the course of the day we tweaked tones a bit, but Brian tells me he pretty much left the amp set where I last set it.

If I recall correctly, it went something like this:

Gain I - 2:00
Gain II - 11:00
Less
Master - 10:30
Treble - 12:30
Middle - 12:30
Bass - 12:00
Presence 1:00
Depth - 10:00

On Megans Train Brian switched to More mode at around 1:20 and likely backed off in Gain I a notch or so. Next time I'll try to bring a camera.

Bass is Fender relic Precision into a blackface Showman head purportedly once owned by Duane Allman, into a beat up Acoustic 360 cab of all things…

Mics were 2 Neuman KM84s overhead into a custom made two-channel Neve 1274 mic pre direct into an HHB800 CD burner. That’s it…mics to pre to media!

So get out your rotten eggs and tomatoes and enjoy!

smf

kleinm
09-23-2006, 10:19 PM
That amp sounds the balls...nothing short of the balls. :shock:

BK's playing is jaw-dropping, as usual.

Thanks for the clips!

Koreldyre
09-23-2006, 10:48 PM
cool jam :)

SteveVHT
09-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Brian kicks all kinds of ass.....
He simply does all your amps justice.

Let me know when mine will be shipping Steve...

Steve

corky newman
09-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Man it sounded like you guys had a blast I wish I was there...The new amp sounds killer...good luck with sales on it....corky

BK
09-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Well all I can say is Thanks to Steve for getting me off my ass and playing.

After 2 solid months of being couped up in the studio I was getting a little cagey. My mood was not all that rosey that night till Steve, Larry and I starting talking smack. Then Larry (a fine host / gent and sly dog for recording said jam w/o saying a word about it) got some beers in the mix and off we went.

Not to pat eachother on the back, but it was just nice to hang with two other cats who really love music. Rewarding shit always happens when you do it for the right reasons. It just so happens that I was playing through one of the most amazing sounding combos I have ever plugged into.

VHT's are the only amps I have plugged into that make it so easy for me to just "check out" and really let my hair down.

As far as details... well lets just say that those really don't matter all that much to me when you commit to the music at hand. Note outta tune E string :-)

Best!
BK

SteveVHT
09-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Well all I can say is Thanks to Steve for getting me off my ass and playing.

After 2 solid months of being couped up in the studio I was getting a little cagey. My mood was not all that rosey that night till Steve, Larry and I starting talking smack. Then Larry (a fine host and gent) got some beers in the mix and off we went.

Not to pat eachother on the back, but it was just nice to hang with two other cats who really love music. Rewarding shit always happens when you do it for the right reasons. It just so happens that I was playing through one of the most amazing sounding combos I have ever plugged into.

VHT's are the only amps I have plugged into that make it so easy for me to just "check out" and really let my hair down.

As far as details... well lets just say that those really don't matter all that much to me when you commit to the music at hand. Note outta tune E string :-)

Best!
BK

Good to see you around again...
Hopefully we can get together in January at NAMM...
I have to bring Steve a nice bottle of T...:D
You have a magit touch bro....Just keep making great music. It's truly inspiring.
Steve

tone?
09-26-2006, 09:11 AM
BK i noticed the out of tune E and what i love about your playing is the Hendrixy thing going on. just great phrasing in a 'loose' context.
that is what i always LOVED about hendrix, his live jams where little bits of genius came out. so much better that something rehearsed.

good deal!

Capn Crunch
09-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Consonance & dissonance have always been a part of GREAT music; in this case, there was great push towards dissonance (which is quite pleasing) in some of the licks. I really didn't even notice the alleged imperfection of the tuning as often in vibrato laden / modulated guitar it really isn't noticeable!

Great piece...

No train wreck here mates :mrgreen:

Bob Savage
09-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Nice jam, and the amp sounds excellent!!!

rwe333
09-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Amps sounds freakin' awesome! Nice work boys! Seems like another winner here...
Most excellent playing, as usual, BK. You're such a musical cat.

yabba
09-26-2006, 03:13 PM
damn, both those tracks are awesome! nice work you guys :-D

splatt
09-27-2006, 11:29 AM
nice, dudz:
nice!
dt

SteveVHT
09-27-2006, 01:41 PM
nice, dudz:
nice!
dt

Welcome...
I'm glad you made it OK...:D

Time to post up some of your amazing playing bro....
Steve

Bob Savage
09-27-2006, 02:48 PM
nice, dudz:
nice!
dt

Hmmm, splatt sounds familiar... I'm probably mixing you up with somebody else, but David Torn? Nah, that's not it... or is it... I'm confused.

Kelly
09-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Nice clip. Sounds like you had the amp dimed...O_O

sfryette
10-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Nice clip. Sounds like you had the amp dimed...O_O

See edited first post...

SteveVHT
10-01-2006, 03:16 PM
See edited first post...

Happy Sunday Steve...:D

Anything over 10 O clock on the master of the 120 can hurt small children in the neighboring country...:D

I'll call you tomorrow to harass you about my D60 2x12 and other items....
Have a great Sunday....
Steve

Sonworship
10-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Wow!!! Truly inspiring! ( Both the amp and the chops ) :-D

BK
10-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Raising a cold one for the good words...

Cheers all
BK

sfryette
10-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Raising a cold one for the good words...

Cheers all
BK

Drinkin already at 3 in the afternoon......and I haven't even gotten a call!

Bastage!

:-D

BK
10-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Drinkin already at 3 in the afternoon......and I haven't even gotten a call!

Bastage!

:-D

Well .....

I am the guy who your mom told you that you could'nt hang out with anymore....

Oh wait .... so are you!

Let's have a drink!

Are we recording tomorrow afternoon???

Denver Hacker
10-22-2006, 11:34 PM
That sounded great!! Thank you for including how the amp was dialed!

A440
12-11-2006, 04:47 PM
hey, great clips !!

giving me major gas for a D60!

any estimated weight/dimensions for the 2x12 combo yet ?

thanks,

Mike J.

sfryette
11-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Bump for some great Deliverance toanz...see first post.
(links were broken - repaired now)

HellfireSG
11-11-2011, 05:17 PM
fantastic!

stephen sawall
11-11-2011, 08:30 PM
:)This is great .... thanks for bumping it.