PDA

View Full Version : Need help for the "European power supply for VHT amps&q

born_hard
01-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi,

live in Germany and want to import a GP3 VHT from US. I just heard good things about the silver babe...
Now, i am wondering if i can operate the GP3 just with a power converter (which one knows from travels overseas ..for these razor machines) cause on the back panel it says 117 Volts. We have 230 Volts here in Germany and therefore its not obvious...
So can i buy a GP3 (does anybody sell one?) and put a power converter between?
Thanks
Aron

rbone100
01-25-2005, 11:56 AM
This question would be best answered by VHT!

Contact info:

818-846-4000 and press 8 for tech support. You may also email your tech questions to support@vhtamp.com

Pittbull
01-25-2005, 04:57 PM
I also live in Germany and I have a 110v Vht Ul. I have been using a transformer since I have owned my amp and I have had no problems with any hums, noise or failure. This is an external unit. Just make sure the transformer is more watts than the amp. Contact VHT first and maybe they can put a 220v transformer in it before it gets sent to you. If not buy an external transformer. If you need help finding one let me now. I will only be living in Germany for a couple more months and back to the U.S. for me. I have been in kaiserslautern for almost 4 years and love it.

roguetheory
01-25-2005, 08:33 PM
I live in Malaysia and I have a US model Bogner Uberschall, which I'm using an external power supply with. I've told that it DOES effect the sound in some way. I think it has something to do with the fact that the European current, has more cycles than the US current.

born_hard
01-26-2005, 10:27 AM
well,

thanks for the answers. So do i need an external transformer which is transforming the voltage?
By the way, i was asking VHT per email 2 days ago. No answer till now. I let you know, when i get an answer.
By the way, i want to purchase used gear...
Aron

NoGodsNoMasters
01-27-2005, 07:53 AM
well,

thanks for the answers. So do i need an external transformer which is transforming the voltage?
By the way, i was asking VHT per email 2 days ago. No answer till now. I let you know, when i get an answer.
By the way, i want to purchase used gear...
Aron

NAMM is/was the past couple of days so no wonder you haven't received an answer yet probably because they have been busy with it.

Kylix
02-04-2005, 04:50 PM
VHT does not allow U.S. dealers to ship VHT amplifiers to outside the American market. Some U.S. dealers will still sell to European customers to make a sale.
Anyone in Europe wanting to buy a VHT from the U.S. should remember that VHT will offer no warranty. All repairs (parts & labour) will be your own responsibility.
born_hard: If you ask VHT they will just tell you to contact a local German dealer. What they do not understand is that you can save alot of money by buying from the U.S. The prices on VHT amplifiers in Europe are crazy high.
Here are some examples converted to U.S. currency:

UltraLead + EQ - Dealer price in Holland: 3950$ (3050€)
- Retail price in Germany: 4930$ (4000€)
- U.S. dealer price: 2500$ - 3000$ (depending on dealer)

GP3 preamp - Dealer price in Holland: 1700$ (1326€)
- Retail price in Germany: 2400$ (1844€)
- U.S. dealer price: 1000$ - 1300$ (depending on dealer)

So you see, the prices in Germany and Holland are very high and alot of money can be saved by buying from the U.S. Only downside will be that VHT will probably punish you by refusing to offer you any technical support or warranty.
To answer the original question:

Yes, a voltage transformer will be necessary. The difference in cycles will not be a problem. 120v U.S. current is generated at 60hz, whereas 230v European current is generated at 50hz. All VHT amplifiers will operate fine with either frequency. Voltage transformers only transform the voltage and not the cycles, but this is not an issue as most electric devices can operate on both 50hz and 60hz sources.

For anyone wanting to use U.S. electric devices in Europe, I recommend PowerBright's voltage transformers:

http://www.powerbright.com/main.html
http://www.powerbright.com/transformers.html

http://www.voltageconverters.com/

Using a voltage transformer is perfectly safe. You just need to make sure your transformer can provide enough wattage.
As an example, the VHT Two/Ninety/Two poweramp consumes 450watts of power, so for that one you would need a voltage transformer rated at 750watts or higher, just to be safe. The GP3 preamp consumes 38watts of power so a transformer rated at 200watts would be adequate.

Kylix